Allergy Policy

C.W. Perry is an Allergy-Aware School

As an allergy-aware school C.W. Perry School is sensitive to the needs of all students with allergies. However, we cannot be absolutely certain that all food products brought into our lunch rooms or classrooms are free of potential allergens (i.e. peanut or peanut related products). While we make every effort to keep students from being exposed to allergens, we cannot guarantee it will never occur.

Being Nut Aware means we are:

  • Aware that nut allergies can cause serious complications and can kill
  • Aware that some of our students have life-threatening nut allergies
  • Aware that it is everyone’s right to be safe at school
  • Aware of the signs and of anaphylaxis, and what to do if you see it

That being said, if a student has a severe food allergy, it is strongly advised that the parents and/or guardians of the student contact the office at the beginning of the school year so that an alternative eating area can be provided. If your child carries an Epi-Pen, an up-to-date prescription and a signed medication administration authorization form should be submitted to the front office for emergency use.

If there is a student in your child's classroom with a nut or peanut allergy, a letter will be sent home by the teacher to advise all families of the allergy. Please be diligent in refraining from sending snacks and lunches with the food(s) that are listed as an allergy. Thank you for your help and support in this matter.


Respiratory Sensitivity

Use of fragrances including perfumes, colognes, and body sprays can cause difficulties for individuals who suffer from asthma, other respiratory illnesses, or are prone to headaches. To maintain an optimal learning and working environment, we are asking our students and staff to consider others when using these products and avoid the use of strong fragrances.

Following exposure to an allergen, a person having a reaction may have ANY of the following symptoms:

•           Hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash

•           Coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, throat tightness

•           Nausea, stomach pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea

•           Pale blue coloring (skin or lips)

•           Weak pulse

•           Fainting, loss of consciousness

•           Dizzy, light headed, shock

•           Swelling of any body parts, especially eyelids, lips face, tongue

•           Panic or sense of doom



Act quickly. The first signs of reaction can be mild, but symptoms can get worse quickly.

  1. Get epinephrine auto injector (eg. EpiPen, Twinjet, Allerject) and administer immediately and record time
  2. Call 9-1-1
  3. If an allergen has been ingested, rinse mouth if possible
  4. Inform the office of the reaction; they will call the parent(s)/guardian(s) and a copy of the students’ emergency information
  5. Give a second dose if epinephrine in 5 – 15 minutes if reaction continues or worsens
  6. A staff member or parent/guardian will accompany the student to the hospital
  7. Provide ambulance with emergency information and the time(s) epinephrine/medication was administered
  8. If possible, send auto injectors (Epipen) with emergency responders


Additional Information:


Forms & Procedures:

Document Actions